Certificate of Permanent Residency – Do you have yours?

If you are a citizen of the EU or Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Andorra and have lived in Portugal for 5 (five) consecutive years, you ought to obtain a Certificate of Permanent Residency. Resulting from EU standards, this demand also includes relatives that live with you.

In order to lawfully stay in the country, you should file a request with a division of the Service of Foreigners and Frontiers (SEF) before your Certificate of EU Citizenship expires, carrying with you all the documentation needed. As this procedure relies upon previous booking, you should ensure a spot before the above-mentioned expiration, by making a timely phone or on-line reservation.

Considering that the Certificate of Permanent Residency is valid for 10 (ten) years after its issuance, you will only have to go back to this matter within that period in case of any alteration of the data stated on the Certificate.


• Law No. 37/2006, 9 August – Regulates the exercise of the right of free circulation and Residency of European Union citizens and
their family members in Portugal;

• Ordinance No. 1334-D / 2010, 31st December – Approves the models of European Union citizen registration certificate, EU
permanent residency document, EU citizen’s Residency card and the fees to be charged for issuing such documents;

• Ordinance No. 164/2017 – Amendment to Ordinance No. 1334-D / 2010, of December 31st.

The content of this information does not constitute any specific legal advice; the latter can only be given when faced with a specific case. Please contact us for any further clarification or information deemed necessary in what concerns the application of the law.