How it works
The Portuguese Golden Visa has proved to be the most popular and consistent residency program in Europe with investors from all countries attracted to its flexibility and benefits since it combines: the investment and immigration areas, granting to the applicants and to their direct family members, a renewable residence permit in Portugal.
Launched in 2012, the program has been actively promoted internationally and had periodic amendments, to introduce more flexibility, more options of investment and compliance with european regulations.
Five investment options
- The creation of at least ten job positions;
- A transfer of capital for research activities carried out by public or private scientific institutions that are part of the national scientific and technological system, with a value €500,000 or more;
- Capital transfers of €250,000 or more made to support the investment or artistic production, recovery, and maintenance of national cultural heritage through public institutes and central or peripheral direct administration services, entities in the public business sector, public foundations, private foundations with public utility status, inter-municipal entities, entities in the local business sector, municipal associative entities and public cultural associations, which develop projects related to artistic production or the recovery and maintenance of the national cultural heritage. However, some changes have been made to capital transfers equal to or greater than €500,000, which can now look like the following;
- A transfer of capital equal to or greater than €500,000, intended for the acquisition of shares of non-real estate collective investment undertakings, constituted under Portuguese law, whose maturity, at the time of investment, is at least five years and at least 60% of the value of the assets, made to commercial companies based in the national territory;
- Capital transfers in the amount equal to or greater than €500,000, intended for the incorporation of a commercial company with headquarters in the national territory, combined with the creation of five permanent jobs, or to increase the share capital of a commercial company with headquarters in the national territory, already existing, with the creation of at least five permanent jobs or the maintenance of at least ten positions, with a minimum of five permanent jobs, and for a minimum period of three years;
With this programme the investor and the direct family members will be allowed to:
- Entering Portugal without a residence visa – Schengen Visa is enough for the application;
- Minimum staying requirements in Portuguese territory of 7 days/year our 14 days for two years;
- Benefit from family reunion of spouse, children (under and over 18), parents and parents in law;
- Apply for a permanent residence after 5 years;
- Reside, work or study in Portugal (voluntarily);
- Circulate in the Schengen area without a visa;
- Benefit from health care, social protection and educational system;
- Apply for the Portuguese nationality after 5 years.
- Accumulated with the RNH tax program
3rd Safest country in the world and safest country in Europe, according to World Peace Index.
Access to Portuguese Passport – one of the strongest in the world with visa free access to 185 countries.
7 Portuguese Universities among the best in the world according to the QS University.
Best country to live, retire or visit after COVID-19 according to Forbes.
Accessible and international quality Healthcare System, political stability and social rights.
Freedom of expression, religious, sexual and racial tolerance, appreciation of female leadership.
Most welcoming European country in the World to foreign citizens according do InterNations.
Top 10 of the best European cities to invest in Real Estate, according to PwC and the Urban Land Institute.
Access to Portuguese speaking countries – Africa and Brazil.
Ranked as an easy of doing business country, next digital hub in Europe and priviliged access to blue and green projects.
Standard documents for the Application
- Passport or other valid Travel Document;
- Health Insurance;
- Criminal record;
- Documentary evidence of legal entry and stay in the Portuguese territory;
- Completed application form with permission for checking the Portuguese Criminal Record;
- Non-debt or non-registry declaration issued by the Portuguese Tax Authorities and by the Portuguese Social Security;
- Payment of the ARI / Golden Visa analysis fees;
- Origin/ Residence country taxpayer number.
Awards and Recognitions
“The lawyers are responsive, proactive and adapt to the needs of the clients. They have knowledge and experience.”
Chambers & Partners
“The team works fast and with close contact, offering a practical vision.”
Chambers & Partners
“The firm is always very diligent, responsive and accurate with high ethical standards. It is also technically very careful.”
The Legal 500
“A very good service – the team has been advising and defending us in a very good manner.”
The Legal 500